In 1959, at just 19 years old, Skenteris and two partners opened The Palmetto, as it was lovingly called on Laurens Road. The restaurant served chilidogs, hamburgers, fries, and milkshakes, and it quickly became a hangout for local teens in the area. In those early days, Skenteris left the restaurant only once, to marry his wife, Mena, in 1964.
Today, Nick, Skenteris’ son runs the restaurant. Nick has added healthier items, along with more Greek specialties, the food the family always ate at home.
Over the years, The Palmetto grew and changed. The original building which focused more on the drive-in aspect gave way to one with more indoor seating, and the menu grew to include meat and threes and other traditional southern items.